ST JAMES CHURCH, SPILSBY
Our Parish Church is open daily. The Town’s oldest building is conspicuous on its fine situation at the top of the hill on the crossroads. It gives the impression of being an entirely Victorian structure but although the shell comes from the 1879 rebuild it embodies many styles and tastes. Its pleasant peaceful atmosphere is redolent of its long history and the many minds and hands that shared in building it.
There has been a long association with the de Willoughby family. In 1302 Sir Robert Willoughby, the first Baron Willoughby founded the College of Priests for whom he built the Trinity Chapel which forms the oldest part of the Church. In the Willoughby Chapel the tombs of some of the Willoughby family may be found. Their stories connect us with Conquest in 1066, the main events of the middle ages right through to the reign of Elizabeth I.
At the back of the Church in the North wall are three tablets commemorating three distinguished brothers of the Franklin family all born in Spilsby. The most famous is Sir John Franklin, born in 1786, who fought in the Battle of Trafalgar and perished in the search and discovery of the North-West Passage from the North Atlantic to the Pacific Ocean.
The organ (1840) was built by William Hill the great 19th century organ builder who was born in Spilsby. In the tower of the Church there is a peal of 6 bells.
St James Church is the ecclesiastical hub of a 7 parish group including Spilsby, Hundleby, Halton Holegate, Great Steeping, Little Steeping, Firsby and Raithby. Our Vicar and Rural Dean of Bolingbroke is Canon Peter Coates. (01790 752526)
Services at St James:
1st Sunday of the Month 10am Family Service
2nd 3rd & 4th Sundays 9.30 am Sung Eucharist
5th Sunday 10.00 am Group Service at one of the other Churches. (Not yet restored after C19 restictions 9.30am at Spilsby).
There is also daily morning prayer at 8.00am
Eucharist every Wednesday at 10.30am.