Our Church Hall ~ The Green School
A Brief History of the Green School Hall
This building, located on the opposite side of Church Street to St Guthlac's, was built in 1851 as an elementary school for girls when it became known as the Green Coat School. At that time Market Deeping was only a village. It was built on land donated by the then Rector, Reverend William Hildyard, and Mary Wensor who in her will gave £400 towards building costs with Elizabeth Molecey giving a trust of £200 towards it's upkeep. In 1874 the building was extended to include infant boys along with elementary girls. 1942 saw a merger with the Boys Endowed and the schools became the Endowed and Green School under one head with the Green School becoming the infants. By the 1960s, children of both sexes were being taught in the Green School and at various other locations in the village. Finally, in 1967, the William Hildyard Church of England Primary School opened in Godsey Lane to provide much improved learning facilities.
The Diocese of Lincoln then handed responsibility for the Green School to St Guthlac's Church on a lease and repair basis and for use by them and the people of Market Deeping for mainly educational purposes. The building is now overseen by a management committee nominated by the Parochial Church Council.
In 2004 major work was carried out to the electrical system and toilets to ensure the building complied with the requirements of the Disability Discrimination Act and during 2016 the heating system was upgraded.
There is a very interesting article on the Deepings Heritage website about the Green School, click here