St. Peter's Church,
Stixwould LN10 5HP
See monthly calendar for all dates
There is a Holy Communion 2nd Sunday, at 09,15am
Evensong on 4th Sunday at 4pm - last one this year, was 23 October
with additional services over the Christian festivals.
History and Architecture
The present church was built in 1830/31 on the same site as one dating from the middle 15th century. The Screen was believed to have originally from Halstead Hall, then erected in the old church, where it enclosed the choir. The present screen is only one third of the original, consisting of three square-headed complete bays and two half bays surmounted by battlemented cresting, with square flowers below.
The reredos (screen behind the altar) was a three panel painting of the Good Shepherd by a relation of the Revd. Bates (1913-1923). The panels are now mounted in the Tower.
The Font - octagonal divided into four panels bearing quaintly cut emblems of the Evangelists. The panels between shows a seated monk holding a Y representing January, a man with arms akimbo is facing east representing February, a Friar for March and a man holding a rose for April. Pew ends on the south of the nave these are from the first church.
The expressions on the faces from the old church are mournful, though newer ones more cheerful - a reflection of the worshipers? Note the lady poking her tongue out on one pew end at the devil on another opposite. The stone coffin lid, sited near the pulpit, is believed to be that of the last Abbess of Stixwould Priory.
The church is open from May until October on Saturdays and Sundays.
Clergy: Rector - Revd Richard Major
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel 01526 352114
Bill Radley - Tel: 01526 352458
Bill Radley at bbq
To obtain access to the church please contact
the church warden