St. Margaret's Church,
Langton and Old Woodhall
Views of Langton Church
See monthly calendar for all dates
History and Architecture
St. Margaret's Church probably dates from the late 13th century, being generally Norman in style but more specifically Plantagenet. It is built on slightly raised ground, perhaps as a defensive measure against marauding neighbours. The church has been reduced in size - arches in the north wall, now filled in, suggest a north aisle and this is confirmed by the discovery of a foundation wall some 6ft north of the present wall. The Chancel has been shortened too - foundations have been discovered indicating that it used to extend a further 8ft eastwards. Just beyond the south west corner of the building is a square of turf which has been removed to reveal stone embedded in the ground. This is the corner stone of an 8ft square tower which stood there prior to being demolished in the 1700's.
Inside the church on the west wall on either side of the doorway, are two very old tomb slabs which were originally in the pavement of the chancel. One is that of a priest, the other is thought to be that of either a deacon or deaconess since it lacks any form of decoration.
The Font is made up of several relics - the pedestal being carved stone from a vaulted ceiling from Kirkstead Abbey while the bowl is Barnach stone and is believed to have come from the lost church of St.Lawrence in Horncastle. The carved golden dove which surmounts the cover of the font once hung in St. Mary's Church, Horncastle.
In one of the windows in the south wall stands a Medieval Holy Water Vessel also made of Barnach stone, which came from the old Priory in Spalding.
The Pulpit was hand carved in oak by the Rev Conway Walters who was vicar of the parish from 1890-1913. The Black Oak Chair located in the chancel has a carved figure of St.Margaret holding a missal or prayer book.
There is a Parish Eucharist including all age services (Fourth Sunday, 9.15am), Morning prayer (third Sunday 9.15am) held each month with additional services over the Christian festivals.
Contacts Rector - Revd Richard Major
Group Administrator: Mrs Jo Evison Tel: 07842 202 525
Churchwardens: Paul Brewster 01507 524814 & Jean Wilkinson
Please contact the church warden to arrange to
visit the church