The Lady Chapel
The most notable monuments are to be found in the Lady Chapel in the north transept of the church.
On the west wall of the Lady Chapel is the monument to the memory of Edward Brown, who died in 1692. By the terms of his will, a considerable sum of money was bequeathed for the foundation of a school for 10 children from the village, together with £5 per year, to be paid quarterly, for the salary of a suitable man or woman to teach the children, in addition to living expenses. The school Edward Brown endowed still exists today in the village and bears his name. It is one of the oldest Primary foundations in the country. Edward Brown also left money to provide Christian reading matter as well as a fixed sum to pay for the apprenticeship of a boy from the village.
On the north wall of the Chapel there is a memorial tablet to another Edward Brown, a cousin perhaps, who died in 1731 and left the very generous sum of £200 as a donation towards Queen Anne's Bounty, a fund set up by the crown to help the clergy in poorer parishes. It can be inferred therefore that in the 18th century the parish of Horbling was not a wealthy living.
At the moment the Lady Chapel is being refurbished with new chairs, which have been purchased by local people in memory of family members or to commemorate an event in their lives. There will also be new lighting, a refurbished sanctuary lamp and a new aumbry, made by a local craftman.
Lady Chapel piscina